How to choose your bicycle lock
The figures are clear, according to Uk's crime data published in 2014, an estimated 376,000 bicycles are stolen per year, which makes more than necessary to find a good bicycle lock!
Are you sure you've chosen the right bycicle lock?
Here are the 3 rules to follow to choose your bicycle lock and protect your bicycle:
- Always tie your bike, even for short periods and even inside an inner courtyard, in the basement or in the garage: thefts also take place in closed-off areas! Vigilance is the first tool to reduce the risk of bike theft.
- Apply the correct fastening technique: the byblicle lock must take into account the frame and the rear wheel on a stationary point, be it a bicycle garage or street furniture. Then, to attach your front wheel, you can use a cable that will entrap the wheel and fix it to the lock.
- Use a strong bicycle lock, preferably a U-shaped, chain or folding one.
Which bicycle lock to choose?
- A U-shaped bicycle lock: the best security for your bike, especially if you leave it out at night. A long steel handle is ideal to attach the wheel and part of the frame to a fixed point. The Abus lock model, covered with a soft elastomeric synthetic sheath, will not damage the paint on your bike.
- A frame lock to lock the rear wheel for short stops, in addition to the U-shaped lock.
- An anti-theft cable: quite vulnerable, no matter the diameter as it's easily cut, thus it's highly recomended to use it in addition to another type of lock.
- Anchor chain: in flexible steel, this type of bycicle lock offers good protection for the bike and makes it possible to attach it to a fixed point. It's preferable to choose a link chain with 8-milimeter links at least. A fabric sleeve will prevent damage to the bike.
- A folding lock: with its compact shape, flexibility and low weight, you can take it anywhere with you. It's made of steel to offer good protection for your bike.
The bycicle lock market is shared between two main brands in France: Abus and Kryptonite. Abus is a German manufacturer, specialised in security since 1924, offering robust, effective and easy to use bycicle locks: U-lock, foldable, cables, chains ... The Abus lock will quickly become an indispensable tool to secure your bike in town .
Kryptonite invented the U-shaped lock in 1971. This American brand has become a reference thanks to its highly resistant U-shaped locks, cables and chains. The New York series is particularly popular with cyclists for its reliability and resistance. The Kryptonite lock is also a reference among couriers and bike messengers.