How to choose your compression garments
Compression garments allow you to keep your muscles and offer many benefits to bring you real added value in your sport practice (bike, running, trail, etc.).
Advantages of compression garments
In recent years, compression has developed well in the bike industry. Professional cyclists and beginners now regularly wear compression garments. The advantages of compression are numerous indeed:
- Improvement of venous return
- Improved recovery
- Muscle maintenance
- Sweat evacuation
Brands specializing in compression garments such as Skins Compression , BV Sport, X-Bionic, Compressport... now have complete ranges. The choice is vast and it isn't always easy to decide among all these products and the different sizes proposed.
How to choose your type of compression garment?
In recent years, compression has developed well in the cycling and running world. Professional athletes and beginnersathletes now regularly wear compression garments.
It is important to choose your compression type according to your practice (road bike, mountain bike, running, trail etc.) and the benefits sought. To put it simply: on which muscles do you want to be maintained? Upper body? Calves? Thighs? There is a product for every athlete's expectations.
- Compression tights: the tights cover the entire lower part of the body and are therefore beneficial to all lower muscle groups. They are recommended for all types of sports practice thanks to their versatility (road biking, mountain biking, running, triathlon...).
- Bike compression shorts: the cycling shorts' range is specific to cycling. In addition to the advantages of compression, you will find all the classic comfort of bike shorts with the integrated "chamois leather". Bike compression shorts maintain the thigh muscles.
- Compression Jerseys: The jerseys cover the entire upper body and are beneficial to all upper muscle groups. They bring more oxygen to the arm and shoulder muscles. Jerseys are therefore advised when the upper body is requested (BMX, ATV...).
- Compression sleeves: the sleeves allow to cover the ends (calves and forearms) without being obliged to wear a tights or an integral swimsuit to benefit from the advantages of the compression. Thanks to the sleeves, your calves and forearms support is optimized. The sleeves are ideal for training or competitions.
How to choose your compression garment's size?
When choosing your compression garment, the most important factor is size. If you want to take full advantage of compression, the garment must be perfectly adapted to your size. Indeed, for your muscles to be well maintained, the garment must be at the right size.
To choose your size, it is therefore essential to consult the size charts the brands put at your disposal. Some brands use body mass index (BMI), while others use more conventional but equally measures (calf circumference in centimeter, tibia height...).
In any case, thanks to these charts, you'll be able to find the right size. Alltricks has selected the most important sizing guides for you (compression shirts and tights, BV-Sport compression sleeves, and X-Bionic clothing).