Choosing your goggles
Swimming without glasses is like running with your eyes closed... so it is essential to choose the right pair of glasses. They will protect you from water, bacteria and UV rays if you swim outdoors to ensure you get the best possible swim.
Here is a guide to help you choose your pair of swimming goggles .
There are three sizes of glasses: the child size, the size S which will be more suitable for adults with a thin face, and finally the size L. The glasses should not be too tight for optimal comfort or too loose not to let water pass through.
To check the waterproofness of your glasses, place them on your eyes without putting on the strap and press down. If the glasses do not fall off instantly (a few seconds are enough), they are well sealed. You can then adjust the nose bridge and the adjustment strap, which is only used to hold the glasses in place. It is therefore unnecessary to overtighten it.
The colour of the glass
You must then choose the color of the lens of your glasses :
- If you swim outdoors, choose dark glasses (e. g. black, sunglasses or mirrors) to protect your eyes from the sun and not to be disturbed by dazzling reflections.
- If you walk indoors instead, you can choose glasses with clear lenses if you want to see properly.
- The best choice if you alternate your training between light and dark environments remains photochromic goggles.
Choice according to the level and frequency of practice
If you are an occasional swimmer, opt for glasses with easy adjustment, optimal comfort and good support, thanks to a silicone seal around the eyes that is quite thick. You can also choose a mask that will give you a wide view.
If you are a regular swimmer, opt for more stable glasses, but always comfortable and with good support.
If you are an intensive swimmer or for competitive practice, choose thin glasses with good stability and perfectly adapted to your face to perform your dives and tumbles in complete peace of mind. To prevent glasses from getting damaged too quickly, choose lenses made of polycarbonate, which offer a long life, longer vision and greater impact resistance. A double strap provides better stability at high speed.
A the quest for performance and perfect comfort, take "Swedish" type glasses: they are hydrodynamic, with a removable nose bridge, removable straps, perfectly adaptable to the face and customizable because you can fit them yourself. Vision is increased thanks to the separation of the lenses and the rubber finishes add comfort.
Maintenance of your swimming goggles
Most goggles have an anti-fog coating on the inside of the lenses, so avoid rubbing them with your fingers. In case of fogging, just put your glasses under water !
After your training or swimming :
- Rinse your glasses with cold water
- Do not put your fingers on the inside of the glasses
- Do not leave your glasses in the sun to avoid erosion of the elastic and other components
- Keep your glasses in a case until the next launch