How to choose your cyclocross
The Cyclocross, to face the winter
The cyclocross appeared in France at the beginning of the 20th century. The first cyclocross world championships was even won by the Frenchman Jean Robic. This sport is still a French specialty today. However, cyclocross was able to be exported to Belgium, where it became a national sport as well as other European countries.
Cyclocross is generally practiced in autumn or winter on short circuits mixing bitumen, grass, sand or natural obstacles. Consequently, the rider must not only pedal but also carry their bike on short sections.
Cyclocross is essentially a competitive sport. Thus, if you want to perform long trips and if performance is of little importance to you, a gravel will bring you more comfort. A MTB bike will also allow you to drive all year round and to do more technical tracks.
The cyclocross, a hybrid between road biking and mountain biking
Half-way between road cycling and mountain biking, cyclocross is truly a special practice. You can't use your road bike there because its strength and geometry are quite different. The cyclocross mixes both characteristics and geometries of the MTB and road bikes. We have:
- A geometry inherited from the road bike with a straight top tube for a nervous bike that makes the bike easy to carry..
- Disc brakes for reliable braking despite climatic conditions. There are also brake shoes specially designed for cyclocross, but the discs tend to impose themselves.
- Hybrid tires between the MTB and the road bike, usually a 700x30 to 35 section with small crampons.
- A curved hanger with hanbrake adaptor or center handles according to the rider's choice.
- Reinforced rims for off-road racing .
- A development originating in mountain biking with cogsets that usually range from 11 to 30 teeth.
- Components designed to evacuate the mud, the main difficulty of the cyclocross.
The choice of cyclocross
This practice is usually chosen as an off-season sport . The short and intense efforts of cyclocross are ideal to complete a winter preparation and can wholly replace your weekly split session. The beneficial effects are numerous because, in addition to training your heart and respiration during winter, you stay on the saddle and therefore you don't lose either your physical or technical condition during the long winter months.
In the north of France and in Belgium, cyclocross competitions are really popular festivals where families, neighbors and friends come together to encourage the runners. Cyclocross is therefore aimed at all cycling enthusiasts regardless of their level, beginneur or competitor, who are able to find the time for a race. Indeed, all budgets are possible and cyclocross is a more accessible sport than road biking or mountain biking. Starting at 1000€, the Crossrip or Trek ranges will allow you to discover this sport for small budgets. Conversely, competitors will be able to move towards the Boone range, approved by world champion Sven Nys.
If you want to get a more accurate idea of this sport, why not go on a race during a weekend in winter?
If you want to participate in the next cyclocross race near your place, you merely have to find your ideal cyclocross on Alltricks.