Starting the trail: how to get equipped?
More and more runners are starting to practice trail riding but this practice requires essential equipment. Indeed you will not be able to practice the trail with the same equipment as running.
The risks of practicing trail with running equipment are numerous. Choosing the wrong pair of shoes or a lack of accessories on a trail can lead to injury or poor performance.
Which Trail clothes to choose?
The choice of clothes will depend on the climatic conditions and the place (mountain, plain, forest...):
- For cold weather outings, choose a long tights, a t-shirt, a fleece, and a windproof jacket.
- For outings in hot weather, a shorts and a t-shirt will suffice. Remember to put a windproof jacket or a long-sleeved top in your backpack.
Be careful, most often trails require you to have a waterproof jacket in your bag/package.
How to choose your Trail backpack?
The backpack is an essential equipment in the practice of trail riding. It will allow you to rehydrate and recharge. Find our advice on how to choose your trail bag/a>. If you do a short trail (30km maximum), a hydration belt with a canister could replace a backpack.
Which Trail shoes to choose?
As far as shoes are concerned, running shoes will not have enough grip and support to perform your trails. A specific article on how to choose the right trail shoesis also available.
How to choose your Trail accessories?
- Compression sleeves : the sleeves will help you all along the race but especially at the end of the race. They will repel the appearance of cramps thanks to a better venous return and you will have a better maintenance of the muscle. The little extra, the sleeves will also protect you from brambles if you run in shorts.
- Sticks: equipment not essential but still very useful especially if you are running in the mountains. The poles will allow you to relieve your legs during long climbs. And they can also help you down the slope to relieve your joints.
- Mobile Phone : a mobile phone will always be useful in case you have a misadventure. If you are afraid of breaking your phone/smartphone, choose a Crosscall. This brand offers waterproof and shock-resistant phones.
- GPS watch :a GPS watch will allow you to plan your routes, calculate the altitude difference, your heart rate etc.
- Frontal : a headlamp will always be useful if you do a trail at night or if you go on a long trail or an ultra-trail.
- Cap/Bonnet: a hat will be useful on trails in cold weather. It is important to protect the extremities of the body to keep the heat in. Une casquette vous protègera très bien du soleil comme de la pluie grâce à sa visière. Le bandeau de la casquette vous permettra aussi de garder votre tête au sec tout en étant respirant.
That's it, you're ready! All you have to do is take the paths and paths to attack the Pyrenees, the Alps or the Massif Central.