How to choose your electric city bike
A city bike for your daily commutes
The electrically assisted city bike retains the strengths of a classic city bike, namely a straight and comfortable position as well as sutiable equipment to face the dangers of the city. They will naturally favour accessibility over performance.
Thanks to their geometry, you dominate the road and you can more easily analyse the traffic, obstacles and dangers. Electric city bikes are ideal for relatively short urban journeys, to commute to your workplace, and the electric assistance allows effortless trips.
However, despite their electric assistance, they are not intended for any sport, unlike a road bike. In addition, city bikes are only comfortable in urban asphalt environments, so it is necessary to move towards a hybrid bycicle for a practice between town and forest roads.
Investment in an electric city bike
Since electric city bikes have a complex motorisation, the prices of these bikes are more expensive than a "classic" bike and can be an investment. The purchase of an electric city bike must be thought out and made in the light of a very large selection. There are indeed several kinds of electric city bikes. Manufacturers compete with technical innovations to meet your every need. There are three main geometry categories:
- Bikes with a top right tube for the longest and most sporty urban trips. They make it possible to have a reactive and nervous bike.
- Bikes with a "goose neck" frame make it possible to wear dresses and skirts thanks to its low frame. They are not intended for women only since it's a bike generally considered for "leisure" with a very comfortable position during your journey.
- Electric folding bikes for those with small storage space. A simple and quick folding bike is ideal for very short trips that can be combined with the use of public transportation.
Regardless of the model chosen, an electric city bike will allow you to find great mobility when travelling in urban areas. It's the casual or professional sportsman's ideal bike if one is looking for a means of green locomotion, practical and effortless. In addition, many municipalities offer purchase subsidies for an electric bike. You can find the list of these cities on our page dedicated to purchase subsidies.
In town, a cyclist is considered as a vehicle but is deprived of protection (bodywork, airbag). The cyclist must therefore protect himself with the means available to them.
- First, by wearing a helmet, you can can avoid a lethal fall.
- Then, by using bicycle paths, corridors dedicated to biycles and other reserved lanes, you are separated from the traffic and thus you decrease the chances of collisions.
- Finally, surely the most logical advice: being careful can allow you to avoid the main dangers of traffic in the city. By stretching your arm to announce your change of direction, by being careful at intersections, by not wearing headphones (in accordance with the law of July 1, 2015) you considerably reduce the risk of accidents.
So are you ready to discover the city with electric assistance? Quickly discover our range of electric city bikes.
A city bike is a very nice item. Furthermore, bicycle thefts are very common in urban areas, so don't forget to tie down your precious frame with a bicycle lock.